Food & Beverage Director - Freehand Chicago
The Food & Beverage Director is responsible for leading the food and beverage service and pool staff in facilities to include the applicable areas of the Hotel. Responsible for ensuring the highest level of guest service by overseeing all aspects of service and service staff during operating hours, while working in a clean and safe environment, and meeting all financial goals for sales and expenses.
WHO ARE WE
Generator is on a journey. Appropriate, given that we’re a hotel and hostel accommodation brand. The journey began in London, swung through a heap of European capitals on its way to dominating the world. Generator burst onto the scene in the Americas with the launch of Generator Miami and Washington DC and most recently took aim at the country’s biggest markets (NYC, LA, Miami and Chicago) with the acquisition of Freehand Hotels. Created for a new generation of urban travelers, Freehand combines the social culture of a hostel with innovative design by Roman and Williams, comfort and quality food and beverage at an affordable price.
No biggie. Fast Company named us one of the top 50 most innovative global companies. We, of course, agree. And now this top 50 most innovative global company (did we mention that?) wants a pretty awesome Food & Beverage Manager for our Broken Shaker outlet in Freehand Chicago.
Our spaces are safe and seriously social, in the proudest part of the beating heart of the cities we love. Cultural action, creative pulse and an outstanding way to waste some of the finite time the universe has given you – that’s what Generator offers. Holds true for staff and visitors equally, and while chic design is always the backdrop, every Generator in every destination reflects the unique beat of that city’s heart.
ABOUT FREEHAND CHICAGO
Welcome to Freehand’s second outpost! Designed by Manhattan-based Roman and Williams, the building celebrates the city’s Midwestern heritage with a string of evocative communal spaces and rooms located in the restored 1927 Art Deco building, set among the high-rises of the downtown River North neighbourhood – home to some of the city’s best art galleries, boutiques and restaurants. Featuring 217 rooms and amazing public spaces like coffee and breakfast bar and the cozy Broken Shaker Bar, it’s a buzzing, busy space that represents the best of Freehand. Between the busy social calendar and the ever-changing makeup of guests and locals coming to play, it’s a particularly fun and fulfilling space for everyone in the Freehand Chicago team to work in.
NUTS AND BOLTS OF THE JOB
– Manages service aspects in all food and beverage assigned areas and events
– Manages bar to ensure proper room preparation, including set-up of glassware, etc.
– Confirms that all service staff are in proper uniform and adhere to the Hotel’s appearance standards
– Hires, manages and trains staff in all technical and non-technical aspects of their role including Hotel standards of quality and service
– Creates, maintains and distributes weekly schedules for staff and communicates changes as appropriate to all
– Communicates with staff regarding reservations and/or special events
– Conducts pre-shift and/or pre-event meetings with all necessary staff
– Evaluates and supervises performance and carries out disciplinary action as needed, in accordance with the Hotel’s policies and applicablelaws
– Ensures guest needs are met
– Responsible for employee relation issues and reviews incidents with Area General Manager
– Completes and administers employee performance appraisals
– Conducts beverage, china, glass etc. inventories
– Opens and closes bar on a regular basis. Responsible for ensuring bar is secure upon departure and that all lights, equipment, doors, etc. are turned off or locked
– Controls costs of beverage outlet by assisting management, as requested, in purchasing, maintaining effective profit and loss controls and monitoring labor costs following demand patterns, budget and local labor laws
– Maintains accurate daily and weekly punch details for service staff and processes daily sales reports and other reports as requested
– Maximizes food and beverage sales by identifying and targeting sales opportunities through marketing including promotions and special events and by training staff on “up-selling.”
– Trains staff in and adhering to all safety, sanitation, food preparation, food storage and alcohol beverage control policies including confirming legal drinking age and discontinuing service to intoxicated guests
– Maintains guest satisfaction by handing inquiries, concerns or comments and providing solutions; acquiring feedback from guests and co-workers in order to ensure satisfaction and/or implement service improvement ideas; developing new concepts to ensure customer satisfaction and repeat business
– Maintain consistency of service by being aware of and prepared for all events, large parties and reservations that may affect food and beverage service operations
– Communicates and teams well with other departments.
– Other duties as assigned by management or ownership.
Naturally this is not intended as an exhaustive list of duties. Other duties as may be reasonably required will form part of this job description.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
– Primary duty is management and leadership, however, will be required to fill in as a Server, Bartender, etc. to relieve/back-up staff during peak periods or when short staffed
– Attends and participates in weekly meetings
– Implements and supports all Hotel initiatives and programs and requested by management
– Teams with other Hotel departments to ensure exemplary customer service and adherence to policies and procedures
– Maintains knowledge of other similar Bars and industry trends
WHAT’S IN YOUR DNA
– Enthusiastic, positive attitude, highly motivated and guest driven
– Excellent interpersonal and communication experience, both verbal & written
– Flexible and able to work various shifts, ability to work in high pressure situations
– Excellent grooming standards
YOUR ROCK STAR EXPERIENCE
– Four year college degree or equivalent experience required
– A minimum of 4 years of progressive responsibility in food and beverage industry required
– A minimum of 2 years of personnel management, preferably in a hospitality/service industry required
– Experience in resolving customer issues/complaints as well as overall excellent customer service required
– Proficient in computer software including Microsoft Word and Excel
– Solid time management, organization and prioritization skills
– Proven ability to effectively build and foster a team environment
– Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment
– Must be of legal age to service alcoholic beverages
– Ability to effectively communicate verbally and non-verbally with others
– Ability to work with all personality types even in adverse situations
– Ability to prioritize, anticipate situations, and take quick action
– Ability to manage multiple projects and recommend/implement effective solutions
– Demonstrated commitment to customer service
– Excellent problem solving/decision making skills
– Ability to work independently and proactively in a fast-paced environment
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
– Ability to lift at 25 – 100 pounds
– While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be required to walk or stand for long periods of time
– Must be able to bend, climb, balance, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl without hindrance
– While performing this job, employee will be exposed to sunlight, heat, wet and/or humid conditions
– Maintains a professional appearance appropriate to position and as per Hotel policy
– Fine motor skills
– Ability to climb on step stool or ladder in order complete elements of the job or facilitate maintenance issues
OUR GLOBAL BENEFITS
– Birthday holiday in addition to your yearly holiday allocation
– Employee Bounty Program providing opportunities to earn up to $1,000 for new hire referrals with no cap on number of referrals made
– Company contribution towards gym membership fees for all eligible employees
– Ideas Award – Quarterly award to double gross basic salary for 1 month to employee with most valuable suggestion/feedback
– 2 free nights’ accommodation across any hostels (subject to availability)
– Reduced room rates for staff as well as friends and family members (we operate in 17 locations across Europe & US so your next holiday is sorted)
– Social events and celebrations calendar
– Various employee recognition schemes
– Online learning tools
LOCAL EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
– 8 yearly holidays plus one additional birthday holiday
– Two weeks vacations per calendar year
– 6 sick days/personal days
– Medical + Dental + Vision (minor employee contribution)
SO YOU THINK THIS MIGHT BE YOU?
That’s cool. Send us your application in English. If you’ve got questions call us, or check https://freehandhotels.com/ or our social media pages.
Here you may well find the answers to life, the universe and everything, including why there are no penguins at the North Pole. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org