Food & Beverage Manager - Freehand Chicago
We need an exceptional and passionate leader to join our team. If you are an inspiring leader and communicator, a people person through and through and have a genuine desire to be part of something big then your journey should start here. Help us to create an unforgettable experience.
WHO ARE WE
Generator is on a journey. Appropriate, given that we’re a hotel and hostel accommodation brand. The journey began in London, swung through a heap of European capitals on its way to dominating the world. Generator burst onto the scene in the Americas with the launch of Generator Miami and Washington DC and most recently took aim at the country’s biggest markets (NYC, LA, Miami and Chicago) with the acquisition of Freehand Hotels. Created for a new generation of urban travelers, Freehand combines the social culture of a hostel with innovative design by Roman and Williams, comfort and quality food and beverage at an affordable price.
No biggie. Fast Company named us one of the top 50 most innovative global companies. We, of course, agree. And now this top 50 most innovative global company (did we mention that?) wants a pretty awesome Food & Beverage Manager for our Broken Shaker outlet in Freehand Chicago.
Our spaces are safe and seriously social, in the proudest part of the beating heart of the cities we love. Cultural action, creative pulse and an outstanding way to waste some of the finite time the universe has given you – that’s what Generator offers. Holds true for staff and visitors equally, and while chic design is always the backdrop, every Generator in every destination reflects the unique beat of that city’s heart.
ABOUT FREEHAND CHICAGO
Welcome to Freehand’s second outpost! Designed by Manhattan-based Roman and Williams, the building celebrates the city’s Midwestern heritage with a string of evocative communal spaces and rooms located in the restored 1927 Art Deco building, set among the high-rises of the downtown River North neighbourhood – home to some of the city’s best art galleries, boutiques and restaurants. Featuring 217 rooms and amazing public spaces like coffee and breakfast bar and the cozy Broken Shaker Bar, it’s a buzzing, busy space that represents the best of Freehand. Between the busy social calendar and the ever-changing makeup of guests and locals coming to play, it’s a particularly fun and fulfilling space for everyone in the Freehand Chicago team to work in.
NUTS AND BOLTS OF THE JOB
– To direct the functions of administration and planning of the food & beverage department and responsible for the overall running of the department to meet the daily needs of the operation
– To confer with management on reports, forecasts, budgets, policies and future planning. Recommends to management, changes or innovation in policy and future planning, procedures and equipment
– Strive at all times for 100% customer satisfaction
– Have a knack for activating spaces, making sure every square metre of space is monetised
– Fully integrate events programming to create genuine lifestyle experiences
– Partner with the right suppliers to curate the food, coffee and craft beer experience
– Exceed the budgeted departmental P&L and be commercially savvy in exploring new revenue streams
– Control payroll and all cost of sales with a strict and robust stock management system
– Know all statutory legislation and ensure H&S, Fire Safety and Food Hygiene compliance
– Builds an efficient team to ensure continued employee motivation is maintained through consultation, target setting and regular reviews
– Develop and train all employees within your charge in order that they perform to the required standard
– Train staff on upselling techniques to maximise daily revenues
– Communicate effectively so that the team understands its goals and is motivated to achieve them
Naturally this is not intended as an exhaustive list of duties. Other duties as may be reasonably required will form part of this job description.
WHAT’S IN YOUR DNA
– To be able to lead and inspire people to be their best
– Be an excellent communicator
– Be organised, hardworking and have an excellent appearance with a strong focus on guest requirements
– Always keep cool under pressure
– Show commerciality with a strong passion for driving revenue
– Understand stock-control and keep costs to a minimum
– Like getting your hands dirty, wherever, whenever, because you will
– Available to work when needed
YOUR ROCK STAR EXPERIENCE
– Appropriate experience in the field of Bars and Restaurants, preferably within a lifestyle concept
– Some years of experience in managing F&B operations
– A passion for trending local Food and Drink concepts
OUR GLOBAL BENEFITS
– Birthday holiday in addition to your yearly holiday allocation
– Employee Bounty Program providing opportunities to earn up to $1,000 for new hire referrals with no cap on number of referrals made
– Company contribution towards gym membership fees for all eligible employees
– Ideas Award – Quarterly award to double gross basic salary for 1 month to employee with most valuable suggestion/feedback
– 2 free nights’ accommodation across any hostels (subject to availability)
– Reduced room rates for staff as well as friends and family members (we operate in 17 locations across Europe & US so your next holiday is sorted)
– Social events and celebrations calendar
– Various employee recognition schemes
– Online learning tools
LOCAL EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
– 8 yearly holidays plus one additional birthday holiday
– Two weeks vacations per calendar year
– 6 sick days/personal days
– Medical + Dental + Vision (minor employee contribution)
SO YOU THINK THIS MIGHT BE YOU?
That’s cool. Send us your application in English. If you’ve got questions call us, or check https://freehandhotels.com/ or our social media pages.
Here you may well find the answers to life, the universe and everything, including why there are no penguins at the North Pole. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org