Staff Accountant - Freehand New York
This position provides support to the Director of Finance by assisting in the preparation of accurate and timely financial reports, overseeing daily operation of the Accounting Department activities and internal control procedures ensuring compliance with all Federal, State and local regulations.
WHO ARE WE
Generator is on a journey. Appropriate, given that we’re a hotel and hostel accommodation brand. The journey began in London, swung through a heap of European capitals on its way to dominating the world. Generator burst onto the scene in the Americas with the launch of Generator Miami and Washington DC and most recently took aim at the country’s biggest markets (NYC, LA, Miami and Chicago) with the acquisition of Freehand Hotels. Created for a new generation of urban travelers, Freehand combines the social culture of a hostel with innovative design by Roman and Williams, comfort and quality food and beverage at an affordable price.
No biggie. Fast Company named us one of the top 50 most innovative global companies. We, of course, agree. And now this top 50 most innovative global company (did we mention that?) wants a pretty awesome Assistant Director of Finance for our sales office in the big apple.
Our spaces are safe and seriously social, in the proudest part of the beating heart of the cities we love. Cultural action, creative pulse and an outstanding way to waste some of the finite time the universe has given you – that’s what Generator offers. Holds true for staff and visitors equally, and while chic design is always the backdrop, every Generator in every destination reflects the unique beat of that city’s heart.
ABOUT FREEHAND NEW YORK
Located in Manhattan’s Flatiron District, Freehand New York is housed in the former George Washington Hotel—once home to many storied writers, musicians and creatives. Designed by Roman and Williams and featuring custom-commissioned artwork by Bard College students and alumni throughout, we’re revitalizing the artistic community in a historic NY neighbourhood. Conveniently situated in the Flatiron District, Freehand New York has a vibrancy that starts with the guests in the rooms and public spaces and is complemented by the locals frequenting the George Washington Bar and Broken Shaker rooftop Bar, enjoying the regular events and activations. It’s this energy that sets Freehand apart in the city, and it empowers the team working at the property just as much as it does the guests passing through.
NUTS AND BOLTS OF THE JOB
– Prepare, record, and process accounts payable and cash disbursement, and accounts receivable and cash receipts
– Prepare allocation tables for indirect expenses and revenue items as needed
– Monthly bank reconciliation
– Prepare and process payroll and deduction schedules
– Maintains required records, reports, and files in an organized manner.
– Gathers pertinent data pertaining to inventories, accounts payable accruals, and any other information necessary to prepare relevant journal entries
– Assists in the preparation of budgets, forecasts and capital spending plans
– Review credit card refunds to ensure legitimate refunds
– Assist in the posting of accounts to the general ledger for accounts receivable, cash receipts, accounts payable, cash disbursements and payroll
– Review open invoice reports and follow up with a schedule of payments or adjustments
– Assist with the year-end financial audit
– Responds to questions from managers and employees.
– Attends meetings as necessary
Naturally this is not intended as an exhaustive list of duties. Other duties as may be reasonably required will form part of this job description.
WHAT’S IN YOUR DNA
– Enthusiastic, highly motivated and guest driven
– Excellent interpersonal and communication experience, both verbal & written
– Flexible and able to work various shifts, ability to work in high pressure situations
– Must be highly organized and well versed in completing paperwork
– Ability to prioritize
– Detail oriented
YOUR ROCKSTAR EXPERIENCE
– Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related filed
– 2+ years of experience in hotel accounting
– Working knowledge banking, credit cards, accounts payable and other transaction based general ledger processes
– Experience with Exact, a bonus but not necessary
OUR GLOBAL BENEFITS
– Birthday holiday in addition to your yearly holiday allocation
– Employee Bounty Program providing opportunities to earn up to $1,000 for new hire referrals with no cap on number of referrals made
– Company contribution towards gym membership fees for all eligible employees
– Ideas Award – Quarterly award to double gross basic salary for 1 month to employee with most valuable suggestion/feedback
– 2 free nights’ accommodation across any hostels (subject to availability)
– Reduced room rates for staff as well as friends and family members (we operate in 18 locations across Europe & US so your next holiday is sorted)
– Social events and celebrations calendar
– Various employee recognition schemes
– Online learning tools.
SO YOU THINK THIS MIGHT BE YOU?
That’s cool. Send us your application in English. If you’ve got questions call us, or check https://freehandhotels.com/ or our social media pages.
Here you may well find the answers to life, the universe and everything, including why there are no penguins at the North Pole. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org